MTI’s chief information officer banned from driving for 2 years, fined $2,000 for drink driving
PUBLISHED2 HOURS AGO
SINGAPORE - The chief information officer at the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) was fined $2,000 on Thursday (July 15) after he pleaded guilty to a drink driving charge.
Bernard Donald Miranda, 59, who is also the director of the corporate operations division at the ministry, was disqualified from driving all classes of vehicles for two years.
The court heard that the Singaporean had consumed some wine over dinner at his brother’s home on the evening of March 18.
He was driving home along Sembawang Road at around 9pm when he was caught.
Miranda was later found with 43mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The prescribed limit is 35mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath.
In his mitigation on Thursday, he told the court that he had acted out of character, adding: “I have done something wrong… It won’t happen again.”
He also said that he has since sold his car and is not driving any more.
The Straits Times had earlier reported that before joining MTI, Miranda was a rear-admiral with the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN).